Thursday, May 27, 2010

MT Rant

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, I've been trying to finish my medical transcription course. It expires at the end of May (I have to pay to renew it if I don't finish by then).

A little history about this class: For the last...oh, 15 years, I have really want to go back to grad school. I wasn't always sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I never really started anything other than one class towards an MBA which was...ugh, not my thing (Sears was paying for it, otherwise it never would have happened).

A few years ago, I decided that in order for grad school to actually happen, I needed to have a way to earn some money while in school. I wanted something that could be somewhat flexible with hours, etc. Several friends and family members suggested medical transcription. They are in the field and happy with it, and it seemed like something that would be interesting and flexible and could help me realize my ultimate goal. In other words, I didn't look at it as THE ultimate goal, but as a stepping stone for doing what I really want to do someday.

I researched courses, and decided on one that was online. They said it would take me 6 months (if I worked at it full-time) to a year (if I worked at it part-time) - of course that varies by your ability, etc. but that is an estimate.

I started full blast. I breezed through the early sections on grammar and medical terminology and typing and all of that. I thought I was making great progress, which is when I slowed down a bit to do little things like move and try to get my house in decent shape. Always though, I would work on this class at least several hours a week, if not several hours a day.

Here we are, 15 months later, and I am not as close as I thought to being done. I knew I had 2 sections left, but had no idea there are 300 reports to type in each one! These reports can take me anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour to do, depending on how much research I have to do. I'm guessing I'm at least a month away from finishing, which means I need to extend the course in order to finish it. I don't feel like putting another penny or another minute into this class, frankly! And yet, I know I can't stop. Over the last 3 months, I've worked at it nearly full-time - pretty much all day while the kids are in school and in the evenings as well. It has become my life. I eat, sleep, and dream medical transcription.

I have never felt so stupid in my entire life. Why is this taking me so long? I'm not an especially slow typist, or an illiterate person. I feel like I'm moving at a steady pace. So why when I'm putting in far more than 40 hours a week on this am I not finishing??? I think I was misled about how long it will really take.

In the meantime, I could be halfway through law school by now.

2 comments:

McQuivey said...

I REALLY know what you mean, that course is BRUTAL!!! Hang in there you will get it done, but to be honest there are still some days that I feel like that, just drowning in dictation!

Kristen said...

I'm sorry, that does not sound like fun. I'm trying to get a job doing data entry from home right now. Hopefully... Good luck with your course, I really hope you can get it done!