Monday, January 4, 2010

Why I Care - Susan Powell

A couple of years ago, when we were living in Louisiana, my husband came home one day with the sad news that the daughter of a couple in our congregation had been murdered, and that they suspected the husband was responsible and were looking for him. He was found not too long afterwards, after a failed suicide attempt.

As more and more came out about the case, the sadder it got, and the more I became concerned about domestic violence - particularly in Mormon families. Not that domestic violence is ever okay, but the fact that LDS men are the perpetrators far too often is very disturbing to me. (Note: yes, there is also domestic violence AGAINST men, but since that is statisticly a small number, we're going to focus on the ladies right now). Domestic violence occurs in all religions, all races, all social classes -- but since I'm LDS, these cases hit me harder. It should NEVER happen, period. It should REALLY never happen in the LDS church. These men know better.

The first high profile LDS domestic violence case I remember was Lori Hacking. This one hit a little close to home, as we were living in the area at the time, and Mark Hacking's father was our daughter's pediatrician.

Then we had Tina Eubanks, mentioned above. This was not a high profile case, but it was to us because we know Tina's parents and after her murder, we got to know the children as well - when they came to live with their grandparents after their mother's murder and father/step-father's incarceration. The fallout from that was nothing less than horrible. I don't want to go into details but I'll just say that is something I don't ever want to witness again. Tina Eubanks was just a few weeks older than me. As I saw her laying in that casket and watched her parents and children falling apart then and afterwards, I wouldn't wish that kind of suffering on anyone.

Another case that really got my attention was the Kristy Ragsdale case. Again, such needless suffering. I didn't know Kristy personally, but just the fact that her husband gunned her down in an LDS church parking lot as services were starting...appalling.

So between these 3 women who affected my opinions on this subject, there are 7 children who now do not have their mothers with them, and Lori's Hacking's child who was never given a chance at life. While I believe these beautiful women will see their children again, the fact that the children will have to navigate life without their mothers, due to another person's actions is just unacceptable.

And now, we have two more little boys whose mother is missing and most likely deceased. While all of the evidence is not in yet, and no arrest has been made, I believe in my heart that this case will also come down to domestic violence. Charlie and Braden Powell, just 4 and 3 years old, will be raised most likely by grandparents after their father is incarcerated for murdering their mother.

If you live in Utah, please keep your eye out for Susan Powell. If you own property, go look around. Vacant house or lot next door? Check on it. If somewhere comes to your mind as a possible place to look, exhaust the possibility. We need to bring Susan home so that her family can have closure, and let the wheels of justice start turning against Josh Powell.

And pray for Josh Powell - that his heart may be softened and he'll start talking, that his justice will be swift and appropriate, and pray for his soul. He's gonna need it.

(*Josh Powell was apparently no longer active in the LDS Church, but Susan was. According to friends, the religious discord was a "problem" in the marriage.)

No comments: