Friday, November 20, 2009

You can never have too much Jean Valjean!

Tonight we went to see a high school production of Les Miserables. I have to say of all the high school versions I've seen (maybe 2 or 3 others) this was the best. Some very talented kids. One of the ladies from Doug's work got the tickets because someone in her ward was in it - so we went with a bunch of church people. It was a good time, the girls enjoyed it (M and E have seen it before but this was A's first time.)

Going with kids makes me realize...gee, there is a lot to try to explain to kids in that show! Not that I'm opposed to talking to my kids about those things (prostitution, suicide, war, etc.) but I'm really just amazed that they were able to put it all in a 3 hour show and have it make sense! Of course, A doesn't really get any of it yet so she didn't ask any questions - everything came from the 8 and 10 year old. Unfortunately, M has a very good understanding of this stuff thanks to being stuck in traffic in Vegas next to a "mobile hooker" unit and being old enough to remember some suicides in our family. Unfortunately, sometimes life forces us to confront these things before we might have really wanted to.

Anyway, so we'll count that as my blessings tonight:
1. Talent.
2. Good storytelling.
3. Communicating with my kids.

No comments: