I always look forward to General Conference for many reasons - staying in your pj's for church (although this was much more excusable in Utah when conference was at 10:00 a.m. Here in Michigan where it's noon....well, I'll probably actually take a shower and get dressed - but NOT in a dress and nylons!); Eight hours of great instruction from our church leaders; and of course, FOOD!
Now, some people fill their general conference days with worthy projects like activity packs, taking notes, crocheting, or whatever. I'll be honest, I have a hard time staying awake if I'm not doing something with my hands. I do okay for the morning sessions, but by the afternoon sessions I'm dozing off. So, I figure if both my mouth and my hands are busy (in other words, stuff my face for hours!) I'll stay awake.
As I write, my breakfast casserole is in the oven. Here are a few of our Conference food favorites:
Breakfast Casserole:
Fry 12 slices of bacon, then remove to paper towel and set aside.
In some of the bacon grease, lightly brown 1 package of frozen hashbrowns
Add 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Add the bacon back in and salt (about a tsp) and add 8 (or so!) drops of tabasco
Mix together: 12 eggs, 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 2 cups monterey jack cheese
Mix everything together and bake in 9 x 13 greased pan, 15 minutes at 400, then reduce to 350 for an additional 15 minutes.
Cinnamon Rolls:
I totally do the cheat kind. Thaw Rhodes Texas Rolls dough (takes about 6 hours), then knead it together, roll it out, slather it with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Roll like a jelly roll, cut into slices about 3/4 inches thick, put on a greased and floured cookie sheet. Let rise until double in size (about an hour) then bake at 375 until lightly browned. Top with frosting (make your own, or like me use Betty Crocker). This is all about simplicity!
Meatballs:
1 package frozen meatballs
1 jar "Homemade" brand (although I can't find that here) chili sauce
1 jar grape jelly
Heat in crockpot and enjoy through the day
Lil' Smokies:
Li'l Smokies and your favorite barbecue sauce. Heat and serve.
Of course throw in some fruits and veggies there too so the day is not a total hogfest.
As you can tell, all of this food is super easy, and super horrible for you. This is why we only have it twice a year. Enjoy!
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Yum! Thanks for the recipes and ideas.
It was strange for us to have Conf at 11 and 3. I grew up in UT with the 10 and 2 timing, but for 20 of the past 22 years we have lived in EST areas! Conf is "supposed" to be at 12 and 4. So this weekend was really good, but also a little weird!
Post a Comment