Thursday, July 23, 2009

Now I gotta cut loose....Footloose!

Last Thursday night, we went to see Footloose at Tuacahn. Before we went, Jen came up and took our family pictures, then we had a little pre-birthday (her birthday was the next day) party for Elise. Here she is blowing out the candles on her cake: Whenever we go to Tuacahn, the girls have to walk up on the ledge of the water. Don't ask me why, it's a kid thing! Here they are: Morgan, Elise, Alexa (not mine but I'll claim her!), and Ashlyn walking up to see the show:


So, about the show. Well, I can say in the positive column that I didn't see any bees this year, which is good because last year they drove us nuts!
The talent was really good. Both leads were really great both in their dancing and their singing. Yet I came away from the show kind of...well...unimpressed this year. I thought about why, and I think it comes down to the music. Not that it wasn't performed well, I just don't think this show is very strong on music. It's kind of blah. Doesn't wow me like a Les Miserables or Wicked or Phantom...or even Mamma Mia can do! So I just thought it was okay. Probably would not see it again, just because there is so much more that is out there with superior music. Speaking of which, we will miss Aida, which will be at Tuacahn this fall. Go see it if you get a chance...now THAT's a musical. Elton John of course so I might be a little biased, but Doug and I saw it a few years ago in Salt Lake and it was awesome. I have the soundtrack and the "Gods love Nubia" song can still bring tears to my eyes if I'm in the right mood. So if it were me, I'd skip Footloose and see Aida instead. Or heck, see both if you can, and throw in Annie too for good measure. I'm sure it's good, we've just seen it so much that we didn't want to spend the money on it this time.
I do have to say though...that guy who played Ren in Footloose (I cannot think of his name right now but he was on So You Think You Can Dance) is a fabulous dancer. It's almost worth seeing it just for that. He's phenomenal. His acting was okay, his singing was good, but his dancing...well, I could have watched that all night.

No comments: