The sub work has been horrific this year - actually for about 18 months now. The economy? I'm sure that's part of it, more people out of work and thus more people in the substitute system. I've only subbed 1/2 day since Christmas! Instead, I've really been working on my medical transcription course and I'm almost ready for the midterm!! (Cheers!!)
In the meantime, I'm the odd job queen. I started working the census. We are doing addressing canvassing, going in before the census to verify addresses. Since this is a hurricane-impacted area, we're going door-to-door to verify/add/delete every single address in the parish. So, this means money for me!! I trained all week, and today went out on my own for the first time. It's good exercise walking everywhere, and the money's not bad at all (more than subbing at least), and I can work whenever I want, as long as I get between 20-40 hours. This job should last 11-12 weeks, and then I can apply to keep working if I'd like.
I'm also still doing election commissioner, and there is an election this Saturday. I'm supposed to be a commissioner in charge this year, but my precinct doesn't vote in this election (it's out of city limits and this is for city council), so they called me to work as commissioner in another precinct. Again, easy work (long day though!) for good money. Hopefully if I keep this up I'll actually be able to afford our trip to Utah! And hopefully by then I'll also be done with the transription so I can start that soon.
So, that's what I've been up to!
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Way to go! It is so good to see you getting out and doing odd jobs and earning some money--money is always nice.
It feels good to contribute and do a good job in all you do. You probably don't realize it, but you are a great example for me!
Post a Comment