Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lunch with a friend

Today I had lunch with my good friend Karla. She totally saved me from insanity in my last ward. I was struggling so much with some organizational things there, and then she came along and saved me. I miss her a lot!
Karla and I met in the strangest way. Our ward was split and I was called to be Primary president. Most of our ward was people I already knew, but there was one cul-de-sac added, with about 8 new families.
As I contemplated who my counselors might be, I really felt that the 2nd counselor was to be someone from that street, but not knowing anyone or even their names, I asked the bishop if I could have a few weeks to kind of meet people and see what I thought.
Instead, I was extremely surprised when in Sacrament meeting, Karla was sustained as 2nd counselor! (The bishop hadn't notified me that this was happening, just the beginning of our "issues", lol!). Anyway, I went up to her after the meeting, and said, "Hi, I'm Angie, and I guess you are now my counselor!", and since then we have been great friends.
She helped me with a lot of stuff in the Primary and in the ward, and it was also a time when I was having a lot of health issues and she was there for all of that too. She is really a great lady. Just so you know what Karla is like, when I called her for lunch, she said, "Well, I'm helping so-and-so paint her house tomorrow morning, and then tomorrow night and Thursday I'm working in so-and-so's pizza parlor because she is pregnant and having a hard time standing on her feet all day, so I'm helping her until the baby comes"...that's just how she is. But she did squeeze me in between her acts of service, and I'm glad because we had a great time.
We went to Cafe Rio and caught up on all the stuff from the ward and in our families.
When our ward was created five years ago, we started with 75 kids and ended up with over 150 by the time I was released (not including nursery!), and then SHE was made president! She just got released and said there are now over 180 in Primary and about 50 in nursery! Wow. Anyway, it is so fun to catch up with her, she is one of the most giving people on the planet. It's so surprise that after being released, her new calling is compassionate service leader. She even bought my lunch now that she has a fantastic real estate career going, lol! I should have taken a picture! Well, we are going to try to get together again while I'm here, maybe next week with the hubbies along, so maybe I'll snap one then.

1 comment:

Dancersmama said...

Gotta love those lunch dates with friends!