Doug and I talked about it and decided this would be a good opportunity to have a responsibility that is all hers, so we said yes.
I went to the school to pick up the gerbils, and then when we got out of the car, Morgan dropped the cage (on accident, she wanted me to say) and it broke beyond repair. So we went to Pet Smart and bought a new cage ($40). I put the cage together myself (Doug was out of town. P.S. I hate putting things together!) and got them all set up in their new home.
They did well for a few days, and then this morning Morgan came to me crying saying that Milkshake was gone. She had chewed through the plastic on one of the top hole covers enough to bump it off and crawl out.
In the meantime, early this morning Doug and I thought we heard something in our closet. Putting two and two together once we knew Milkshake was missing, we figured that was the best bet as to where she was. However, neither one of us had time today to look for her or worry about trapping her.
Then this evening, the lady who had donated them to the class called because her son had told her that Milkshake escaped, and she was concerned. She told me how to lure her out (with a pile of toilet paper and an empty toilet paper roll). She also offered to come help me tomorrow if we didn't get her tonight.
I figured it was time to get serious about it (this lady can be a little intense, lol!) so I went to the closet where we thought we heard a noise, and started digging around. I slid a couple of boxes out, and then saw a big wad of wrapping paper with lots of holes in it. Aha! Slid another box out, and there she was, looking all innocent.
We set the pile of tp in there to get her to come towards it. She would take a step towards it, and then back up, then try to escape another way. Finally Doug grabbed her and we got her back in her cage. After a little while, we got them out for the kids to play with in their little play area, and I took these photos. The first one is of Doug holding her right after he nabbed her - the others are of the girls playing with them in their play pen. Oh, the joy of pets! Now we just have to get our fish tank back in order.






4 comments:
I am glad that you found Milkshake. Hopefully they stay put this time. What are you doing with them while you are gone?
Glad you found the missing pet! You are a way better mom than me, Gerbils scare me, they look too much like mice!! We will have to stick to stuffed animals at our house!
LOL! How funny that Milkshake went into your closet...I hear that is where the "rodent" pets usually go, it's dark and private and they can nibble to their hearts content! I'm glad she is found, and Morgan looks happy in the pictures!!
When I was young, my sister brought home some classroom rats, I still can't believe my parents let her, anyway, my dad went and bought this plastic ball cage thing that we could put them in so they could run around without getting lost. It was pretty fun to watch them. By the way, I think one of ours was named Oreo too.
Post a Comment